On Thursday, Hillary Clinton teamed up with Jimmy Kimmel to take a stab at the sexist jerks (and even some “well-meaning” supporters) who have picked her apart on her speaking style, her wardrobe, her hair, her smile, and more.
Here is how it began:
“I know you feel like your husband is your secret weapon, but I feel like I’m going to be your secret weapon now,” the late-night host declared to Clinton. “I’m going to help you win this election, no problem.”
He then asked Clinton if she is familiar with the term “mansplaining.” She said that she is, BUT he corrected her. Because, well…that’s a man’s job, right? To correct a woman.
Are you familiar with ‘mansplaining’?” Jimmy started off. “Do you know what that is?”
“Yeah,” Hillary said in a deadpan tone. “That’s when a man explains something to a woman in a patronizing way?
“Actually, it’s when a man explains something to a woman in a condescending way,” Jimmy answered back. “But you were close.”
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) March 25, 2016
Some of his “best” pieces of guidance for Hillary:
- “You’re shouting. You’re too loud. You don’t have to shout like that, it hurts my ears. It comes off as a little shrill — for men, that’s all.”
- “I mean, you’re making a speech, not an arrest. So tone it down, and try it again.”
- “You know what, you have to speak up because we can’t hear you now. You’re like a mouse up there.”
- “And you know what would be nice? If you smiled — if you put a little, you know, some teeth.”
- “Oh my God, with the sourpuss. Try to have some fun. This is, like, your dream. Pretend you’re enjoying yourself.”
Kimmel also told her:
“Don’t smile like that, because it’s too forced. You look like you’re faking it. You know what you have to — ask yourself, ‘Do I want to be president, or do I want to be a Lakers Girl?’”
To which she responded:
“Is that a real choice?”
And they nailed it when Hillary said “it’s like I’m doing nothing right.” Kimmel responded with:
“Exactly, you’re not doing it right,” said Jimmy. “I can’t quite put my finger on it. But it’s something — you’re not, um—”
And Hillary had the answer: “A man.”
Here’s a YouTube video:
Featured image via screengrab