Gaslighting is a common tactic used to manipulate and control a person or group. The gaslighter will attempt to control the victim’s sense of reality by manipulating their mind with aggressive tactics. The aggressor’s tactics are so strong that it makes the victim question their own mind. Psychology Today defines gaslighting perfectly when stating:
“Gaslighting is a tactic in which a person or entity, in order to gain more power, makes a victim question their reality. It works much better than you may think. Anyone is susceptible to gaslighting, and it is a common technique of abusers, dictators, narcissists, and cult leaders. It is done slowly, so the victim doesn’t realize how much they’ve been brainwashed.”
Sound familiar? This quote is as if it were written as a critique of President Trump’s personality. It is obvious that we have an abuser, dictator, narcissist and cult leader in the White House. He controls his own worshipers with gaslighting as well. The gaslighting done on his supporters is called glamour gaslighting.
The book The Gaslight Effect discusses glamour gaslighting. The aggressor showers you with special attention, but they don’t ever actually prioritize your needs. You do not get anything out of the relationship. If the gaslighter is confronted they will assume the victim role. So, the victim spends their time reevaluating their own mind.
So how do you defend yourself against a gaslighter?
- Trust your own mind
- Be aware of a gaslighter’s techniques
- Don’t allow yourself to be isolated by the abuser by allowing them to roll out people who will agree with them
- They use what is important to you as ammunition, so remember that you know what’s best for you
- They become the victim — remember that they are the aggressor
- They tell blatant lies. They do this to keep you off kilter. Stay focused
- They deny they told the lie. They will attempt to wear you down over time. #Resist
This list will help guide you while you continue to fight against this unprecedented shit show. Just remember that you are not the crazy one. With this lunatic, that should not be too hard.
Watch the proof of Trump’s gaslighting below:
Featured Image: Screenshot Via You Tube