This list was compiled by Just English. If any links are no longer active, let us know and we’ll update it.
Read up on journalism basics through the insights offered on these blogs.
- Poynter.: This organization’s blog is home to great news on all things journalism and media.
- Common Sense Journalism: Doug Fisher, broadcaster, newspaper reporter, and Senior Instructor at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina, shares his thoughts on new media and traditional media alike on this site.
- Data Journalism Blog: Educate yourself on data-driven journalism when you check out this regularly updated, infographic-heavy blog.
- About.com Journalism: This blog is a great place to learn about everything from AP style to finding a job after graduation.
- journajunkie: Here, readers can find articles on a wide scope of journalism-related topics.
- Journalistics: Authored by Georgia-based blogger Jeremy Porter, this journalism blog focuses on social media, PR, media relations, and other modern issues in the profession.
- Covering Health: Health care is a big issue these days and this blog from the Association of Health Care Journalists offers tips and insights into covering it.
- MediaBistro: Read news about media issues, find tips, and even get job leads from this great blog.
- The Evolving Newsroom: Julie Starr shares her thoughts on the news business and newsrooms around the U.S. on this blog.
Read news about the news, or at least the people who report it, through these excellent blogs.
- Journalism.org: Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism shares data, analysis, news, and reports through this must-read blog.
- Editor & Publisher: Keep up with all the latest news about newspapers and digital publications around the world by following this blog, which is based in Irvine, CA.
- sans serif: Don’t limit your reading to only American topics. On this blog, you’ll learn about journalism in India, from who’s who to what’s working for papers.
- newsguild.org: Newspaper Guild and Communications Workers of America can find relevant news stories of interest through this blog.
- Media Guardian: Read up on media from across the pond in thisGuardian-penned blog filled with the latest news.
- Adweek: This blog makes it simple to keep up with news in the press, television, technology, and advertising.
- Newspaper Death Watch: Sadly, newspapers are slowly dying out all over the U.S. Learn more about which ones have fallen on this somewhat macabre blog.
- Topix Journalism News: This aggregate blog brings together journalism stories from thousands of different sites.
- I Want Media: Read up on all the latest media news, from papers to movies, on this simple media-focused blog.
- Newspaper and Online News: The Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, headquartered in South Carolina, maintains this blog, full of information not only about the organization but journalism as a whole.
- Alltop Journalism News: This blog aggregates journalism news from all over the web, bringing it together in one accessible place.
Hear from students, professors, and experts on journalism on this diverse collection of blogs.
- Bob Stepno’s Other Journalism: Professor Bob Stepno shares his thoughts with former Radford University Virginia students, colleagues, and the public on this blog.
- Jay Rosen’s Press Think: Jay Rosen, a journalism professor at NYU in New York, offers up commentary on all things journalism (especially its struggle to survive in our digital world) on this site.
- Columbia Journalism Review: Head to this blog for a look at the world of journalism from all sides, courtesy of the students, professors, and professionals at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism in New York City.
- Teaching Online Journalism: The web plays a key role in journalism these days, something you can learn more about from Professor Mindy McAdams via this blog.
- Nieman Journalism Lab: The Nieman Foundation at Harvard maintains this blog, full of journalism ideas, media updates, and more.
- Campfire Journalism: Professor Mark Berkey-Gerard teaches online and multimedia journalism courses at Rowan University, but even those not enrolled in his classes can take advantage of his expertise through this blog.
- andydickinson.net: Here you’ll find professor Andy Dickinson, an expert in digital and online journalism, talking about all kinds of digital media.
- JACC Blog: Read through this blog to learn about the present and future of journalism education at American community colleges.
- Innovation in College Media:This organization’s blog discusses some of the most pressing issues in college media, from content to design and everything in between.
- The Online Journalism Review:The Knight Digital Media Center, USC, and UC Berkeley in California all contribute to make this blog an informative place for any students or journalists looking to learn more about digital journalism.
- Jschool Student Blog: Students in journalism school in Australia team up to write great posts on life as students on this blog.
- CommPilings: The Annenberg School for Communication’s library shares resources, news, and alerts here.
- KDMC Blog: This site is the official blog of the Knight Digital Media Center, a great place for students to learn more about working with new media in journalism.
- University of Vermont Journalism Blog: Highlighting students and faculty, this Vermont university blog can give you a peek into life as a journalism student.
- BuzzMachine: Jeff Jarvis, an associate professor of journalism at CUNY, shares posts on everything from journalism education to new media and technology.
- Charlie Beckett: Charlie Beckett blogs for the London School of Economics and Political Science, touching on the intersection of journalism and society.
It’s hard to ignore the dominance of the web and other forms of new media in reporting today, so don’t. Instead, learn more about how to leverage these technologies to get your writing and reporting out there.
- Journalism 2.0: Mark Briggs writes and edits this blog that addresses the future of journalism and the growing number of entrepreneurial endeavors that are bringing it into the digital age.
- Contentious.com: Amy Graham shares her thoughts on communication in the digital age on this blog.
- Mashable: While not journalism-focused, this blog is still a must-read for anyone who wants to be at the cutting edge of social media and digital technology.
- Online Journalism Blog: Author of The Online Journalism HandbookPaul Bradshaw, along with the help of several other contributors, writes this blog on the new and sometimes confusing world of online journalism.
- MediaShift: This PBS blog offers news and commentary on the digital media revolution.
- Richochet: Chrys Wu has a passion for both writing and all things techie, which she blends into great informative articles on online journalism here.
- paidContent: Digital content is often where the money’s at these days for journalists who want to make a living. Learn more about this issue on this site, featuring a wide range of internet-focused articles.
- Publishing 2.0: Are you evolving with publishing? This blog will help you keep up with the rapidly changing world of new media in journalism.
- Reportr.net: Alfred Hermida comments on media, technology, and the impact of both on society (and vice versa) through this blog.
- Journerdism:Will Sullivan acts as your guide to mobile news and emerging tech ideas on this blog.
- Peter Kafka: Here, Peter Kafka shares insights into the latest digital technologies that will undoubtedly influence the future of journalism and media.
- 10,000 Words: Billed as the place where journalism and technology meet, this blog lives up to that, offering news on the latest web projects from media outlets around the nation.
- Media Lab: MediaShift and the Knight Foundation collaborate to write this blog on reporting, writing, and newspaper publishing in the digital age.
- Advancing the Story: Learn how the digital age is impacting broadcast journalism when you read this blog.
- CyberJournalist.net: Follow the latest and greatest news on how journalists are using the web and new technology to share information.
- @PatrickThornton: Technologist and journalist Patrick Thornton shares his thoughts on the future of journalism here.
- Interactive Narratives: This fascinating blog shows just what can be done to enhance a story when digital media are used.
- MediaFile: This Reuters blog reports on all things media, with a special focus on digital media.
- The Richard Jones Journalism Blog: Digital journalism is the focus on this journalist’s blog, with loads of updates and examples from around the world.
- Below the Fold: Digital communications strategist Gary Goldhammer is a great resource for learning about media in the digital age.
Who better to learn about journalism from than those who do it for a living? These blogs are all written by professionals in the field, offering insights into what they do, feel, and think on a daily basis.
- Howard Owens: Howard Owens has been in the news business for a long time, and in the digital media business longer than most. Check out this blog to learn more his experiences, politics, and other topics.
- Ryan Sholin: Explore the future of news with former journalist and current product manager Ryan Sholin.
- Abbey Anne’s Blog: Fresh out of college, this young journalist shares her travels, experiences, and more though her (somewhat hard to read) blog.
- DigiDave: David Cohn has written for a number of leading publications, but some of his most passionate pieces are found right here, focusing on the intersection between media and technology.
- Kelly Roche: Videographer and journalist Kelly Roche shares a wealth of local news on her blog.
- SteveOuting.com: This journalist shares his thoughts on the future of news and media, as well as other topics, on this site.
- One Man and His Blog: Adam Tinworth writes about the intersection of journalism, publishing, social media, and technology.
- Steve Yelvington: Newspaper journalist and media expert Steve Yelvington shares his thoughts on building better online media for news.
- The Linchpen: Greg Linch blogs about journalism, technology, and education on this site.
- Martin Stabe: Get a UK-centric look at the world of new media and online journalism from Martin Stabe, a London-based journalist.
- MatthewIngram.com: Learn more about media, technology, business, and the web from senior GigaOm wrier Mathew Ingram.
- Sean Blanda: Sean Blanda, one of the three co-founders of Technically Media, focuses on digital media, journalism, technology, and other hot topics on this personal blog.
- Death Reporting: Reporter and editor Mark Scahver writes about journalism, research, technology, and other relevant topics here.
Pictures are worth a thousand words, right? Learn more about what goes into creating some of journalism’s most iconic images.
- Robb Montgomery:International journalist Robb Montgomery shares his expertise on photography, editing, and digital technology on this blog.
- Multimedia Shooter: This blog offers instruction on shooting photos and video that tell a story, as well as reporting on some great job openings.
- VideoJournalism: Think about a story visually with a bit of help from this video journalism blog.
- SnappedShot: Every day you can glimpse an amazing news image on this photo blog.
- Maysun Photographer: Spanish-Portuguese freelance photographer Maysun shares images, essays, and more that can help you learn more about the profession.
- Lens Culture Weblog: Explore the impact of visual images through this blog, sharing amazing stories and updates on photojournalists from around the world.
- Mastering Multimedia: Multimedia producer Colin Mulvany blogs about photography, videography, and more on this site.
Keep in touch with leading media groups and organizations through these blogs.
- The Society of Professional Journalists Blog Network: Head to this site to read blogs from a range of professional journalists and writers.
- Freepress: This organization is dedicated to reforming media and ensuring democracy in the U.S.
- OPA Blog: The Online Publishers Association blog is a great place to read more about digital journalism.
- Editors Weblog: The World Editors Forum maintains this blog, full of interesting news stories on journalism, digital media, and more.
- Reporters Committee: Supporting freedom of the press, this organization reports on major cases around the nation where that freedom has been challenged.
Politics and Criticism
These blogs take a hard look at journalism and the way it interacts with politics.
- Adrian Monck: Blogger and broadcast journalist Adrian Monck works at the World Economic Forum these days, and uses his blog to highlight major problems he sees both with media and in world economics.
- Reflections of a Newsosaur: Veteran media executive Alan Mutter shares his perspective on where news-gathering companies are headed on this blog.
- Jon Slattery: U.K.-based freelance journalist Jon Slattery uses his blog as a platform for sharing media criticism from a British perspective.
- Save the Media: Journalist Gina Chen shares ideas and commentary on the dying news industry.
- PR Watch: The Center for Media and Democracy based in Wisconsinshares updates on the media in politics and controversial issues here.
- On the Media: Readers will find a wealth of commentary on all forms of media on this blog.
- Breitbart Big Journalism: One of several blogs on this site, this blog touches on political topics in journalism.
- Rhetorica: On Rhetorica, readers will find thoughtful commentary on the intersection between politics and journalism.
- County Fair: This Media Matters for America blog reports news and media criticism for readers.
- Neiman Watchdog Blog: This blog encourages reporters to ask questions and get straight answers on the tough issues.
These blogs show the importance and difficulty that comes along with investigative journalism.
- Center for Investigative Reporting: This blog shares investigative reporting stories from around the world, which makes for some pretty inspiring reading.
- AnalyticJournalism.com: Learn tips and tools for getting your story straight (and coming up with a good story to start with) on this crime-focused blog.
- The Scoop: Get the scoop on investigative and computer-assisted reporting from Derek Willis here.
Need a few laughs? These blogs offer it up.
- Overheard in the Newsroom: This blog catalogs some of the ridiculous and funny things that are said in newsrooms.
- Stuff Journalists Like: Entertaining and interesting, this blog pokes fun at and highlights stuff that journalists will undoubtedly agree is pretty cool.
You don’t need a journalism degree to report the news these days. Learn more about citizen journalists from these blogs.
- The Editorialiste: Blogger Andrew Nusca shares his thoughts on the citizen journalist phenomenon here.
- Independent Media Center:Learn more about independent media outlets and the news they report on this blog.
- The NewsMeBack Blog: This citizen journalism blog shares great books, interviews, articles, and more.
- The Citizen Journalist’s Coach:Susan Carson Cormier is a founder of the National Association of Citizen Journalists and a coach, offering advice and guidance for anyone interested in citizen journalism.